Wednesday 3 October 2007

Finally got a sneak preview of fav.or.it

http://fav.or.it/

I have been really looking forward to getting my hands on fav.or.it, which looks poised to solve the annoying problem, that you can subscribe to a comments feed for a blog, but these comments don't come to your RSS reader with any information about what post they relate to.

Fav.or.it I am pleased to say solves this, not only are you alerted when there are new comments on a post, but you can post a comment to a post from fav.or.it directly. GREAT.

BUT and I think it is a big but, the guy from fav.or.it that I spoke to admited, that they aren't really going for a RSS reader as such, more a platform for mashing up your RSS feeds and producing what they call "slices", streams of posts on a specific theme.

This in itself is fine, but it isn't "Brain Dead Simple" - the interface looks nice - but it isn't intuitive and the concepts behind mashing up web feeds to create "slices" are quite obscure.

What I really wanted to see was google reader but with comment support.

That said - they have been hiding away an amazing feature that I am surprised they haven't made more noise about :

Like many other similar RSS mashup tools, fav.or.it claims that it can learn what you like and suggest similar content. I am always skeptical about this because normally it involves maintaining a list of key terms that I am interested in....

However fav.or.it have put some thought in and developed a system that monitors the time you spend reading about subjects and maintains your interest profile based on this "passive interest".

Without seeing it for myself I cant say that this works, but it does seem like an elegant solution to a problem that needs addressing, and it is the reason that I would be prepared to put the effort into learning and setting up the interface for my use.

So, not the tool that I was looking for, but definitely one to look into.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know this doesn't solve your specific problems either, but another great mashup tool is Radar Farms. The Radar Wizard tool is especially easy to use and I'm hooked on it, personally.

Full disclosure: I work with Radar Farms.