Monday 11 June 2007

Come on - jump on the Web2.0 Bandwagon!!!

A friend passed this site onto me. A funny, if not a bit satirical page promoting a new Web2.0 product Sporkk.
To me, it illustrates the emerging "Marketing 2.0" strategy, of not really explaining what the product does, but offering that illustrious beta test, where users can find out for themselves.

I personally think that the beta test model is a really valuable for emerging products, allowing user feedback early on in the process, producing a product that actually meets the users needs.

However I wonder if the real point of the Sporkk website is to illustrate that everyone is trying to get in on the Web2.0 bandwagon because of the financial interest the Web2.0 movement is generating.
If this is true (which I hope it isn't) ultimately only the good products will succeed, but will it damage the beta test model? Will users be more inclined to allow the VC's to decide what products are successful, and loose their ability to influence the product development?!

I don't think the situation is as bleak as the picture I have painted, but maybe developers of new products are going to have to be a bit more upfront about what their product has to offer, to assure aspiring beta testers that they aren't wasting their time going through the signing up process.

No comments: