Thursday 7 June 2007

London Wiki Wednesday

I attended London Wiki Wednesday with Scott and Simon yesterday. It was my first time there, and I really appreciated the informal "un-conference" style of the event.

Steve Lamb from Microsoft did a short presentation on Sharepoint 2007 's wiki functionality. Unfortunately he didn't actually show it to us, So I cant comment on what it is like.
Interestingly he conceded that Microsoft doesn't have a culture of using wiki's, which makes me wonder exactly how good their wiki technology will be if they aren't "eating their own dogfood" so to speak. However Steve assured me that he does use SP07 for a wiki that he contributes to , and that they are investigating a public Microsoft wiki - which will be an interesting one to watch out for!!

During a discussion session led by Simon Revell, a significant amount of time was spent discussing around the theme of how, within an organisation you decide when a wiki document is finished and what you can then do to safeguard it. My favoured solution was to follow a release model, where the document is printed to PDF which can then be stored in a document management system. However I strongly disagree that a page should be pinned down and closed for editing within the wiki environment, rather reference should be made to the current release version.

There followed a number of really interesting 5min presentations, my favourite being delivered by Angela Beesley from Wikia, who presented on the great work that Wikia are doing, in hosting, overseeing and promoting a number of large wiki's. The burning question on my mind was - how they make their money!!! It seems they are relying on VC's and Google Advertising, but are hoping to rely solely on Advertising in the future - I hope this doesn't reduce the level of service that they are offering!!

The next Wiki Wednesday is on July 4th at BearingPoint I thoroughly recommend it to anyone with an interest in Web2.0/E2.0

No comments: