Wednesday 29 August 2007

Is Enterprise 2.0 such a hard thing to "get"

I just got home from an all hands meeting discussing various things, including group communication. During a discussion about how we would arange weekly meetings I suggested that we used a team blog - restricted to members of our team only (we already have a globally available blog) where we can post and dicuss on team related issues. I suggested that we could use this blog to filter topics that we would want to expand to a full group discussion at a weekly meeting. This idea didn't recieve much support, and shortly afterwards someone suggested that we could "write topics on a white board, and then people can put dots by topics that they are most interested in.....". I was a bit taken a back by this....I am sure that people in the team get what web2.0 and how it could be useful - yet I definitely feel resistance to actually using these technologies . The problm is that we are a technological group that have a role in knowledge management - if we aren't prepared to embrace these technologies, how can we expect others to? Is Enterprise 2.0 ahead of its time?

3 comments:

David said...

It's not ahead of its time. It's just the chicken and egg problem in a different guise.

Most people have to see web 2.0 (or really anything new) being useful to them in a particular context before they want to adopt it in that context.

David

Ben Gardner said...

Your team might like to consider using OneNote in combination with SharePoint. I recently saw this in action and it was pretty impressive approach for capturing and sharing the day to day project transient project information/decisions. I've just posted my observations over on http://dif-fer-en-ti-ate.blogspot.com/ if you want to read more.

Jason Marshall said...

David, Yeah I totally agree - people need to see this stuff working before they can translate it into how it might work for them!

Ben, I have heard about this combo - it looks really great - its nice to see real examples of how Sharepoint can be useful!!