Thursday 16 August 2007

Mainstreaming E2.0 Step 4

"The consumers have to culture new habits to adopt the innovation"

Enterprise 2.0 example:

Whilst I am researching for a project at work, I will always print off a paper to read it because I find it too difficult to read from my monitor - I soon have a pile of papers, which becomes unmanageable when I try to go back and re read something or get a reference. More often than not if I want to do this I will try and remember what search I did in Google and "re-find" the document. This works but it isn't ideal. However I discovered del.icio.us and that problem was solved for me. However I did need to make sure that whenever I wanted to come back to an article I had to get in the habit of tagging them.

I am involved in a trial trying to implement tagging at work, and it seems that getting people to take up this tagging habit is a step too far.

Solution?

The key thing here is that at heart we are all a bit selfish. You can advocate the exciting social possibilities of Enterprise 2.0 technologies until you are blue in the face. However unless you demonstrate to people that the technology DIRECTLY benefits them, and that the social benefits are a free bonus, people won't bother.

Tagging is a perfect example of this, as my colleague Simon keeps saying, when you tag a document you instantly get a "present" for your efforts - not only can you find the document again on your terms, but you are rewarded with other links that are relevant to your tag - ie. you get instant personal value for your contribution. Therefore I think that E2.0 technologies need to be marketed carefully - highlighting personal value before community value.

No comments: